Sunday, July 15, 2007

Virtual Book Tour - Elena Dorothy Bowman

Elena Dorothy Bowman, author of GATEKEEPER'S REALM is here today to talk about how she pumps up her online book promotion!Elena is a former aerospace software engineer, an Honors graduate of Fitchburg College earning a BS Degree in Engineering and Management. She also served as an officer in the Massachusetts Chapter of the National League of American PenWomen. Visit Elena's website at http://elenadb.home.comcast.net/

Let's ask Elena some questions about herself and her books...

1. What got you interested in writing mysteries?

I didn't start out to write mysteries, it was just a thought that came to mind when I decided to try a different genre than the one I had been writing. Detective stories were out, so I wondered what would make a good mystery. Then the thought struck me, what about the house on the bluff in Gloucester. Why? Well, when we were younger, my father used to take us to Good Harbor in Gloucester every other week-end as a treat. We always stayed at the point on the beach where this magnificent house was completely visible sitting on the top of the cliff, so lonely and foreboding. To our knowledge, no one ever entered or exited the house while we were there, and that was every weekend we were at the beach. I always wondered about it. Did anyone really live there? If they did, why is it that no one ever saw them? Did something happen in that house that no one wanted to talk about? Murder maybe? Questions that didn't have any answers were my thoughts that inspired the novel The House On The Bluff. This turned out to be the first book in the Legacy Series.

2. Do you see an advantage to writing series? If so, what are the advantages?

In a way, yes. Sometimes a story doesn't appear to end with the first novel. Questions may pop up that ask what if this happened, or that happened? Could it or would it, result in another novel or perhaps more? Only way to know is to start the first chapter in a sequel and see where that goes; and if a series comes of it so much the better. There were times when I didn't want to write the ending to the story, or should I say the characters didn't want me to end it…they wanted me to continue their existence. So I obliged them.

3. Do you feel there are pitfalls to writing series? If so, what are the pitfalls?

I'm sure there are. I can think of a few. One may start out thinking it would be great to write a series, but what if a series or a sequel isn't there? All it will do is frustrate the writer, perhaps resulting in a writer's block, believing they can no longer write, and perhaps be the cause of a great story being lost forever. You can only go as far as the story will take you. If it ends with the first novel, it ends. There isn't any point of trying to squeeze a series out of a story that ends with the first novel. It doesn't work. There has to be a reason for a series to emerge. And if it isn't there, it just isn't there.

4. I know that you worked in the aerospace industry. Did that background contribute to your interest in science fiction writing? If so, how?

Yes, it was part of it. The company I worked for was engaged in designing and developing missiles for the defense of the United States. They were also engaged in the space program. Knowing the engineers and scientists were reaching toward the Heavens, and the work they were doing could actually make these things fly was fascinating. Then too, there were the Buck Rogers, (yes, I go back that far), Star Trek, Star Wars and all the other science fiction series that captured my imagination were also a part in it.

5. Would you share a couple of examples of ways that you like to build suspense in your books?

Building suspense actually starts with the scene that a particular incident is going to take place. I like to gradually build the suspense with each sentence until there is a question as to what is going to happen next and leave the reader wanting more. With the Gatekeeper's Realm, I have Ethan and Tony with the Inn's guests approaching the Inn by way of the Bay of Death in a modern day state-of-the-art two-masted schooner. As they approach the Inn, Ethan and Tony are filling their heads with the stories of how the house came to be and the mystery surrounding it. This sets them up for the unexpected when they finally land at the Inn.

6. Who is your favorite character in Gatekeeper’s Realm? Why?

That's like asking a mother who her favorite child is in front of all her children. Since these are all my children, I cannot opine as to who is my favorite…they all are. Since they are all my babies, I cannot play favorites.

7. Tell us about the villain or villains in Gatekeeper’s Realm.

The villain is really from out of the past. And until it gets what it wants, it will continue to harass the guests at the Inn. After all, it is the Gatekeeper.

8.Tell us about the setting for Gatekeeper’s Realm.

The story takes place in a small village along the rocky coast of New England. The House On The Bluff, which is the first book in the Legacy Series, sits imperviously alone on a bluff, above windswept dunes that seemed to drift down to the sea on Adam's Point. The open ocean beckons as its waves wash against the fragile shoreline. Adam's Point is connected to civilization by a one way, narrow, twisting, winding, dirt road through heavy fauna, leading to a span that stretched from Caleb's Cove to Adam's Point. The causeway was built so low to the water that a good wave could wash anyone on it away. The wind blows out of the northeast. The widow’s walk perched high above, looks like a crow’s nest on a sailing vessel of long ago. But as beautiful as it appears to be there is no electricity, heat, water, food or phone available within the house.

9. Tell us about your best reader review. What made it special to you?

That's a hard one. All the reviews I received for the Gatekeeper's Realm were special to me. Probably because of the reviews themselves, and how much each reviewer liked the book. The reviewers not only mentioned how much they liked the Gatekeeper's Realm but recommended the other two books in the series as well, which I thought was a great big plus.

10. Are you a planner or do you write from the “seat of your pants”? Why?

No, I am not a planner. I do write as they say from the "seat of my pants". Why? Because the planning method doesn't work for me. I tried several times to plan out a story. I wrote the outlines and did my best to follow them but to no avail. The story hung up until I threw the outlines out and started all over again. As the story unfolded, my characters began to play a major role in how the story would go. In a sense, I let my characters, have the reigns and the story unfolded faster than I thought possible. Almost as if the story was writing itself. I really didn't know to begin with where the story would end…that didn't come until later. I had to wait and find out just as the characters did.

5 comments:

Wanza Leftwich, The Gospel Writer said...

Nikki, this is a great interview. I truly enjoyed it. I'm glad I'm not the lony writer that writes without an outline.

thewriterslife said...

Oh, I don't outline either. I probably should, but with some books, it just takes putting the pen to the paper and watching the story unfold on its own. BTW, thank you for hosting Elena, Nikki! Wonderful interview!

Nikki Leigh said...

I always plan and outline and especially in a fiction series. But, I know that ANYTHING could happen and am open to new ideas that pop into my head as I work through the story :)

Thanks for dropping by ladies :)

Nikki and Muze

Donna Sundblad said...

Enjoyable interview! Love to get these peeks behind the minds that write SF. Glad to know she loves all her characters whether bad or good--that's a mother's love for you.

And I always enjoy finding another author that doesn't outline. My outlines are very sketchy. Usually made up of some key scenes that I need to connect to make the story blossom. However, not every scene makes it into the book.

Elena Dorothy Bowman said...

Hi, Everyone!

Thanks for dropping in. Appreciate your comments on my interview with Nikki's Muze's Musings. I will admit I did try to outline, that's what we were told to do, but I find it very restricting. It always amazes me when the words just start spilling out and onto the keyboard. It's almost as if someone else is writing the story and I'm just an observer. Again, thanks for dropping in.

Visit us on the Promo 101 Promotional Services site - http://www.bookpromotionservices.com