Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Sad Day in Pro Football


I've been a football fan since I was about 6 or 7. My grandfather got me involved in watching pro football and I joke that its his "fault" that I'm a huge Washington Redskins fan. There are days when I wonder about being a loyal fan, but today isn't one of those days.

For anyone who hasn't heard or isn't a fan, a wonderful safety (that's a position in football :) named Sean Taylor was shot Monday morning in his home by an intruder and he was in a coma overnight and he died early this morning. Any time a person in their early 20's dies it is a tragedy. It seems even more tragic for someone who held so much promise in their professional life.

He had some problems in the last years, but people are unanimous that he had turned his life around in the last couple of years after his daughter was born. He did a lot of things to help the local community and was a leader in the team.

As a long time Redskins I had to chime in about this loss to football. I also thought it was great to see the way the NFL is pulling together to show their support. This weekend, there is a moment of silence planned at all pro games. The rivalries, which can be intense, will be forgotten (for a few moments) in the wake of the tragedy.

In addition, I've heard that all pro football players will have a "21", his number, on their helmets and all Redskins players will have a patch on their uniforms with a "21" in remembrance of him. The owner of the Redskins, Daniel Snyder, is said to be flying all players and all workers from FedEx field to the funeral next week.

Just the thoughts of a long time pro football fan. I know that my thoughts are with his family, his young daughter, his team mates and the fans who respected the man and his ability and the contributions he made in his short time with us.

Nikki Leigh

No comments:

Visit us on the Promo 101 Promotional Services site - http://www.bookpromotionservices.com